Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Chrubuntu on Acer C7

This past weekend I worked on installing Chrubuntu on my new Acer C7 Chromebook (from Amazon, though I got the 4GB memory one for $250).

Happily, Jay Lee had just posted new instructions on how to install it with his new script the day before I endeavored to install it.  I followed his instructions, and overall it went quite well.  It was a painless process, although I had to follow the directions quite closely.  The pre-Chrubuntu install instructions for setting up Developer Mode on the chromebook I followed from here.

Using Lee's script, I set up 250GBs for the Chrubuntu partition, leaving about 50GBs (after formatting) for the ChromeOS, which I left on my machine.  I have not actually even ever booted into ChromeOS, as I purchased the Chromebook entirely for Chrubuntu.  The install process took about 45 minutes on a fast internet connection, and was mostly automated besides perhaps 4 or 5 times where I had to input my preference for keyboard style, language, etc.

Chrubuntu works well on my machine.  I installed it with the xubuntu desktop, since that seemed to use the least resources.  I may try to install KDE or Unity later to see how well it works.  This is my first major foray into the world of Linux, and I am pleased so far.

Initially there was an issue with the wifi not working, but Lee fixed that the next day with a simple fix that is now incorporated into his script.

The only other thing I am working on fixing now is the function keys and mapping them to the correct tools.  I am planning to use these instructions to fix it.

Xubuntu only comes with Abiword, so I may opt to install LibreOffice later. I have also installed Xiphos Bible software for it, as suits my needs.  It came with Chrome browser installed, so that is perfect.

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase, and I really love Chrubuntu.  Many thanks to Jay Lee for his work on this project!  The Acer is a little bigger than the Samsung model would be, and it definitely was heavier when I first received it than I expected, but I have gotten used to it, and it is not too heavy now.  The screen is nicely sized, and the keyboard, although small, is manageable.  The battery life under Chrubuntu with xfce seems very good, some four hours or so, as advertised.

No comments:

Post a Comment